DUBAI — Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) test-fired several ballistic missiles from silos across the country on Tuesday, state television said, defying recent US sanctions on its missile programme.
The test happened two months after the United States sanctioned businesses and individuals linked to Iran’s missile programme over a test of the medium-range Emad missile carried out in October 2015.
Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh, commander of the IRGC’s aerospace arm, said sanctions would not stop Iran developing its ballistic missiles, which it regards as a cornerstone of its conventional deterrent. “Our main enemies are imposing new sanctions on Iran to weaken our missile capabilities But they should know that the children of the Iranian nation in the Revolutionary Guards and other armed forces refuse to bow to their excessive demands,” the IRGC’s website quoted Hajizadeh as saying.
A state television report showed a missile being fired from a fortified underground silo at night time.
The presenter said it was a medium-range Qiam-1 missile, and the test took place in the early hours of Tuesday.
“The missiles struck a target 700 km away,” Hajizadeh said.
State-run Press TV had earlier shown footage of the Emad missile, Iran’s most advanced model under development, being fired.
However, that footage appeared to be of the earlier October launch that triggered the US sanctions.